Monday, February 23, 2015

About Me

Hi!

I’m Maree and I’m an Ameristralian. For those of you who don’t follow Reddit: I was born in Australia, but currently live in America. I am an Australian citizen, and an American permanent resident. Basically, I have strong affiliations with both countries. Some of you may be wondering ‘Why would she move to America when she comes from the best country in the world?’ – Good question. All I can say is I met a boy and the rest is history.

I’m a farm girl at heart. I was raised on my family’s property near a small village called Tottenham, the closest town to the geographical centre of New South Wales, Australia. My family owned a mixed farming enterprise of livestock and cropping, primarily raising sheep and growing wheat. Experiencing droughts and floods, physical labour and the outdoors, I feel this lifestyle was character-building and promoted self-sufficiency. A well-rounded education was valued in my family, so my brother and I were sent to boarding school in Orange, New South Wales, Australia. Living away from home from the age of 12 was no mean feat, but I feel lucky to have been bestowed such a privilege. My independence grew fourfold and I made lifelong friendships, many who I treasure so dearly to this day. From there I moved even further away from home to study at the University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. I met a handsome American exchange student named Greg during Orientation Week, who I now proudly call my husband. Once I completed my University studies, graduating as a Speech Language Pathologist, my husband and I moved to Sarasota, Florida, USA. This was a huge step for a small town country gal who had never been on a plane before meeting her husband. A wise man once told us that if you stuck a pole from Newcastle, Australia directly through the centre of the earth it would come out the other side in Tallahassee, Florida, USA. Seriously, I could not live any farther from home if I tried. The moon, perhaps?! 

Currently, my husband works as an IT Consultant, which has taken him on many adventures around the world (some of which I have got to go on!). Recently certified as a Speech Language Pathologist in America, I’m about to begin my first 'Speechie' job at an early intervention centre. I’m excited to discover what this next chapter of my life will bring.

Have a great day!

Maree

Greg and Maree.  Photo credit to Cindy Habel Photography.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! It sounds as though you will have many interesting experiences to share. :)

    www.slpnataliesnyders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! Stay tuned, there will be more to come. Just checked out your blog - you've got some great ideas for school SLP's!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this info, Maree! I have been thinking about getting credentialed in the UK and Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Obsessive SLP!

      Fortunately, both SLP associations from the UK and Ireland are part of the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA). There's a link in my second blog post which has additional information about the MRA. It would also be worth contacting the national associations: The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (UK); The Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists (Ireland).

      If you decide to go down this exciting path, I'd love to hear all about it! :)

      Delete
  3. I can't thank you enough for this information!! I am moving to the USA in 2018 and I was concerned that my bach degree would not transfer over. THANK YOU! I also studied at UON ;)

    I may contact you if I cross any more hurdles (if you don't mind)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Hannah!

    You're most welcome, my fellow UON graduate. :-) Yes, please feel free to contact me at anytime. Best of luck on your journey!

    Maree

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you.